Subscribe
The_grin_of_the_politician_and_Italy_thrown_away_in_the wind_small.png

Jerusalem attack: chronicles from the ground

 
Wednesday, 19 July 2017 12:22
 
Rate this item
(0 votes)

 

by Melania Malomo (EPOS)
EPOS Notepad

 

Three Arab-Israeli citizens from Umm el-Fahm, a large Arab city near Haifa, approached next to the Lion’s Gate of Jerusalem and opened the fire against two border policemen, both members of the Druze minority, then fled towards Al-Aqsa Mosque, where the three assailants were killed by Israeli gunmen. The attack took place early in the morning, at 7 a.m. local time, and it conditioned the Friday Muslim prayers. After the attack, the zone was completely closed in order to go on with the investigation, but the Israeli Prime Minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, has assured that the status quo of the Temple will not be changed in the near future, even though additional security measures will be taken to assure the protection of the area, like cameras and magnetometers. The closure was told to be necessary in order to assure that there no more weapons might have been entered the Temple Mount.

The closure caused the reactions of 10.000 Muslims that are currently living in Jerusalem: unable to reach the Mosque, they held prayers outside the Old City, near the Damascus Gate. Moreover, Muhammed Ahmad Hussein, the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem and the highest Islamic authority in town, was arrested for leading the prayers  released soon after. He condemned the decision of the Israeli Premier not to allow the access to the Mosque, assuming that: “The occupation preventing us from praying marks an assault against our right to worship in this pure Islamic mosque” he said.

After the attack, the Al-Fatah leader, Mahmoud Abbas had a call with the Israeli PM. It was November 2016 when they spoke for the last time: in that occasion, the Palestinian leader offered help to Israel by sending firefighters to put out fraudulent fires around the country after that Israel wanted to shut up the muezzin’s speaker outside mosques cause they provoked “noise pollution”. In occasion of the attack, Abbas “expressed his strong rejection and condemnation of the incident” and “any violent incidents from any side especially in places of worship”, as Palestinian news agency WAFA reported. He even tried to convince Netanyahu to reopen the gates but he denied this request until Sunday in the afternoon, when he started to gradually reopen the gates.

About the attackers: what we know so far is that Muhammad Ahmed Muhammad Jabarin, 29, Muhammad Hamad Abdel Latif Jabarin, 19, and Muhammad Ahmed Mafdal Jabarin, 19 were from the same city and, most probably, they did belong to the same big family. As reported, the three men were all members of the now-illegal Northern Branch of the Islamic Movement, a group tied with Hamas and the Muslim Brotherhood that is led by Raed Salah, who was mayor of Umm al-Fahm. None of them had a history of terrorist activities. Apparently, they acted on their own, with no links with any terrorist organization, and they were self-trained and used their own money to carry out the attack. The police is still investigating on how they did take weapons inside the Holy site.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed in this article are the author’s own and do not necessarily reflect EPOS WorldView’s

Last modified on Friday, 21 July 2017 12:28
Login to post comments
EPOS PARTNERS
Epos Audio Playlist
Open in new window
Epos Suggested Links